Listening Section 2: Baby Cots
Listening Section 2 Book 5 Test 1
Podcast episode – listen for explanations
Want to try it yourself first? Get the whole listening here:
Complete the table below:
Complete the notes below.
Write ONE WORD ONLY for the answer
- Metal should not be rusted or bent
- Edges of cot should not be 20 ……………………………..
11. move around
15. put together
16. too wide
19. best buy
11. The first cot we looked at was by Baby Safe and it had several good points to recommend. Our testers like the fact that it had four wheels, so it was easy to move around.
12. The only slight problems with this cot were that it had no brakes, but they didn’t think that mattered too much.
13. At first they were a bit concerned about the side bar, because they felt babies could trap their fingers in it,..
14. …but our testers felt that this was unlikely to happen so they have given this one a verdict of ‘satisfactory’.
15. The next cot was by Choice Cots and this time our testers were pleased to find a cot which is simple to put together – unlike others we looked at.
16. On the minus side, our testers did not like the fact that the side of the cot did not drop down, making it difficult to pick up newborn babies. However, the real problem with this cot was the space between the bars; our testers found they were too wide and a baby could easily trap his head.
17. We felt this was a real safety hazard and so we have labelled this one dangerous, I’m afraid.
18. And finally better news for the Mother’s Choice cot. This cot was slightly different in that although the side bar did not drop down, the base could be raised or lowered into two different positions making it safe as well as convenient. The negatives for this one were quite minor; the only niggle everyone had was the fact that it has no wheels and the only other problem anyone could find was there were pictures which were simply stuck on and so could easily become detached.
19. The makers have now promised to discontinue this practice. As this cot will then be safe in every way, we have made the Mother’s Choice cot our best buy.
20. So what features should you look for in a baby’s cot? Well obviously safety is a very important factor as well as comfort and convenience. We recommend that , if you are buying a cot, do make sure that any metal present is not rusted or bent in any way. You should ensure your cot has only rounded or smooth edging without any sharp edges, this is especially important for wooden cots.
Get lots more practise with Listening here
To get the full worksheet, tapescript and a whole Listening and Pronunciation course, come and join us in the Members Academy.
In the Members Academy, you’ll find everything you need in one place. I chose and wrote all the materials, so I know you’ll get exactly what you need to prepare efficiently and effectively.
You also get access to me when you need help!