The November challenge is nearly done!
On November 1st we decided to spend whole of November working on your IELTS Writing Task 2.
It’s not too late to catch up! Get all the tasks in the private Facebook group and find the first week of tasks listed below.
This is the first video of the challenge.
Watch it and then write ONE sentence describing the Advantages OR Disadvantages of migration to cities in the comments.
Nowadays the way modern society is developing is being shaped by people’s migration to large cities.
In what ways is migration to large cities affecting society? Is this a positive or negative development?
Other ‘A’ items
- Academic Word List (AWL) – get the lists here and practise them with my AWL Quizlets
- Academic Style – blog coming soon
- Agriculture – learn more here and with this 5-minute video.
- The Arts – watch this 5-minute video
- Articles – watch this 5-minute video
- Answer sheets – watch this 5-minute video
- Answering the question – watch this 5-minute video
Buildings (vocab topic)
Band Descriptors – how to go from 6.5 to 7.
In this lesson (YouTube LIVE) we reviewed your sentences in terms of the Band Descriptors.
Skip ahead to find:
03:11 – what the examiner is looking for
07:13 – your examples
Critical thinking = show your understanding of the issues
Precision = say exactly what you mean
Logic = make sure it makes sense
Clarity = using language clearly
Stance = showing where you stand
Click here to do the lesson (blog)
Click on the videos below to practise:
- Set up a Google doc account so you can check your own mistakes
- Watch the overview video/read the blog about Conditionals (links below)
- Post an example that you can use in IELTS Task 2 (relating to a problem in your country and the EFFECTS) e.g. If people/the government/parents….
Crime and Punishment (blog and video)
Cycles (blog and video)
Cohesion and Coherence (blog and video)
Correction (blog and video)
Chronological texts (blog)
- Review the key vocab related to Development (my Quizlet)
- Watch the MIDDLE PART of this video from 10:20:
- Write ONE ‘Point/IDEA – Example/Explanation/Evidence – So What?’ sentence in the comments.
This is the question:
Over-reliance on modern technology means that people are failing to learn, or are forgetting, many basic skills.
To what extent is this true? Are people becoming so reliant on modern technology that they are no longer able to do some things without it?
‘Educational qualifications are not necessary for success in life’.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here’s a quick reminder of what we achieved during those 4 months of lockdown.
Go to the complete playlist.
Playlist 1: How to write an IELTS Academic Task 1 response.
Playlist 2: How to write an IELTS General Training Task 1 Letter
Playlist 3: How to write an IELTS Task 2 Introduction.
Playlist 4: The grammar you need for IELTS Writing.
Playlist5 : The A-Z of IELTS
The playlists include:
How to describe static bar charts.
How to describe pie charts.
How to make your writing LESS formal.
How to write a Task 2 Conclusion.
How to write a Task 2 essay:
Please comment below if you have any suggestions, requests or queries.