IELTS Listening resources, links, apps and podcasts
Please let me know in the comments if you find anything useful that you think I should add.
Help with Listening
- IELTS Made Easier – my own podcast, specifically aimed at helping you develop in all areas of the IELTS test
- British Council Listening Lessons
- BBC Learning English – not just for listening!
- BBC 6-minute English – many IELTS-related topics and questions
- Elllo.org – a free graded Listening Library
- Breaking News English – get the news graded for your level
- Listen a minute – useful for the 2-minute long turn perhaps?
- ESL-lab – graded listening with follow-up exercises (American accent)
- Dreamreader – is a nice site for extra reading with listening and quizzes.
- VOA (Voice of America) – this site has lots of IELTS-related Listenings at different levels with follow-up activities, like this one about Green Roofs
- British Council Video Zone also has lots of IELTS-related videos!
- Scientific American A useful podcast with 1-minute IELTS-style articles
- If you need a break and want to listen to some music, why not try LyricsTraining for a nice change? It lets you listen to the lyrics of your favourite songs and fill in the gaps! So then you can sing along in English! Great for getting used to fast, connected speech.
- How to understand native speakers (YouTube video)
Other useful apps and websites
- Youglish Use YouTube to hear specific words in their natural context so that you develop a ‘listening ear’ and get used to fast speech
- Forvo lets you hear people with different accents pronouncing a word of your choice e.g. ‘women’ = /ˈwɪmɪn/
- Ororo.tv lets you watch TV with subtitles AND a translator as you watch
- TubeQuizard is a fabulous place to do exercises based on well-chosen YouTube videos.
- Ignite – 5-minute talks on a variety of topic to help you get used to fast speech.